Thursday 7 June 2007

Subtext in Xena

Welcome to my new blog!

I am a huge fan of Xena and the subtext. On my view, the story of Xena the Warrior Princess and her journey for redemption is one of the best stories ever told in television. In this blog, I'd like to share my views on the show and my perception of the subtextual plot, as it develops from 'Sins of the Past' to 'Friend in Need'.

I have recently purchased the first two series of Xena:WP on DVD, and I'm looking forward to revisiting all my favourite episodes... I have seen them all before, but never in the correct order! So now it's the time for that. Along the way, I plan to find out about all my favourite topics in the show: friendship, ethical dilemmas, heroism, sacrifice, history, mythology, music, theatre, cinema, acting, women's history, gender, feminism, lesbian love... and many more. In this blog I will be posting all my thoughts and rants about all these issues! I'm sure it will be fun...

Just to warm up, I will put up some links to a couple of my favourite Xena websites:

Ausxip: Australian Xena Information Page. One of the most complete websites on all things Xena, with episode guide, pictures, fan fiction, and much more.

Whoosh!: probably the most "academic" website about Xena on the web. It hosts a marvelous online journal with fascinating articles and essays on loads of issues more or less related to the series. A gem.

Enjoy!

No comments: